Royal residences

Important information:

The online census has now closed. If residents have an access code, they can no longer use it to access their census.

They can still fill in their census on paper.

The census counts your address as residential accommodation.

The householder has responsibility for completing the census and ensuring the census form includes all residents. In most royal residences, the householder will be the Principal Private Secretary or the Master of the Household. If someone lives here, you should fill in a household form and include them as a resident at this address.

If no one lives here, you still should complete and return the form.

What is a household?

A household is either:

  • one person living alone, or
  • a group of people (who don't have to be related) living at the same address who share cooking facilities and share a living room or sitting room or dining area

Who to count as residents

Count as residents and include on the household form:

  • UK residents who live or plan to stay at this address for six months or more
  • UK residents who have no usual residence elsewhere
  • non-UK residents who live or plan to stay at this address for three months or more and have no other permanent UK address

Anyone else staying overnight should be included in the Visitor questions only.

What is a visitor?

A visitor is anyone staying at an address overnight on Sunday 21 March 2021 who doesn't usually live there.

Count a person as a visitor if:

  • they're from outside the UK and have stayed, or intend to stay, in the UK for less than three months, or
  • they're staying overnight on 21 March 2021 but they live elsewhere in the UK