Help with who lives here

Housesharers, lodgers and live-in staff

If you have sharers, housemates, lodgers or staff, you should include them if they live here most of the time.

This would include someone who's employed to work for you at your home and lives there, for example nanny, au pair, carer or housekeeper.

If the owner of the property is not present, housesharers should fill in the form themselves.

More than one household at the same address

The census counts households. Whether people in the same property are living in separate areas or conversions, all people should be included on the same form if they share:

  • cooking facilities, and
  • a living, sitting or dining area

These may be in one room, for example a bedsit or studio flat. If each household has their own facilities they should fill in a separate household form.