The census in Northern Ireland is run by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA). This website is managed by the Office for National Statistics. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours and contrast levels
- zoom in up to 300% without problems
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- use most of the website with a screen reader, including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver
We use simple language as much as possible.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability or impairment.
Reporting accessibility problems
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems, or you think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 – the “accessibility regulations”. If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the:
- Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) if you live in England or Wales
- Equality Commission for Northern Ireland (ECNI) if you live in Northern Ireland
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
The ONS is committed to making this website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is fully compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version (WCAG) 2.1 AA standard.
How we tested this website
This website was last tested in February 2021. Digital Accessibility Centre (DAC) carried out the tests. DAC carried out manual testing with people with a range of disabilities on desktop, mobile and tablet devices. The testing consisted of a series of tasks and journeys through the census, using most pages and content types.
DAC carried out various tests over the last year for different areas of the census website. You can email email@example.com to request any of the following reports to be sent to you:
- ONS census questionnaire first report October 2020
- ONS census questionnaire second full audit January 2021
- ONS census.gov.uk framework January 2021
- ONS census.gov.uk final audit February 2021
We’ve also tested for accessibility using Google Lighthouse to audit the website.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
During the census period (February to July 2021) we will continue to monitor how this website meets Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.1 AA standard.
We will update this page when we fix any of the accessibility issues.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 17 September 2019. It was last updated on 13 May 2022.