Temporary accommodation for workers

This is advice for people living in temporary accommodation for workers. An example of this could be builders living in caravans on a building site.

Do I have to fill in a census form here?

You should fill in a form here if you're a:

  • UK resident and you live or plan to stay at this location for six months or more
  • UK resident and you have no usual residence elsewhere
  • non-UK resident and you live or plan to stay at this location for three months or more and have no other permanent UK address

If none of these apply and you were staying here overnight on Sunday 21 March 2021 you should be counted as a visitor. The person you're staying with should include you as a visitor on their household form.

What will I receive?

A census officer will make contact to arrange delivery of enough census packs for everyone staying here.

Anyone staying here should receive:

  • a household paper form
  • a pre-paid envelope for you to return the form
  • information about privacy

In Wales, you will have the option to fill in a form in either English or Welsh. Please only fill in one form.

What counts as a household?

For the purposes of the census, a household is either:

  • one person living alone, or
  • a group of people (who don't have to be related) sharing the same accommodation

Your census officer can help you with any questions you may have.

What do I do next?

  1. Complete the paper form.
  2. Answer all the questions about your household.
  3. Put your completed paper form in the envelope and seal it.
  4. Post it or give it to the person in charge to post for you.
Important information:

What do I put as my address?

If your accommodation is on the grounds of a premises, for example a farm or building site, you can use that address.

If your location has no registered address, please describe your whereabouts as best you can. For example, your nearest town or city.

I need help to fill in the form

If you have difficulty filling in the form, try to get a friend or family member to help you.