Student accommodation managers

Types of student accommodation

You should count all accommodation provided solely for students during term time as a communal establishment, unless it's a house or flat rented to students by a private landlord.

Types of student accommodation that count as communal establishments include:

  • halls of residence
  • student villages
  • university college accommodation
  • similar accommodation owned by a company and provided solely for students

Who to count as residents

Important information:

This guidance applies even if a student's circumstances have been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Students should be counted at both their term-time address and their home address. This means they must be included on a census form at both addresses.

What we mean by "term-time address"

A term-time address is an address that a student intended to stay at regularly during term time in the 2020/2021 academic year.

For example:

  • private rented accommodation or student lodgings near their place of learning that a student is paying rent for
  • a hall of residence that a student had planned to stay at for this academic year and have a contract for, but they're not there because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

People are counted as residents and should complete the Individual questions, if they’re:

  • UK residents enrolled full time on an educational course and who live in your establishment during term time
  • someone from the UK who was at your establishment on Sunday 21 March 2021 but has no usual residence elsewhere
  • non-UK residents who live or plan to stay in the UK for three months or more and have no other permanent UK address
  • caretaking, maintenance or other staff and their families who live in this accommodation and have no other permanent UK address

How to answer about the number of residents at this establishment

UK students

Please give the total number of people who registered to stay here during the 2020/2021 academic year.

International students

Include students from outside the UK who are:

  • staying here now and have stayed, or intend to stay, in the UK for at least three months
  • not currently in the UK but attended in person during the Autumn 2020 term, and/or Winter 2021 term, and still have a formal agreement to be able to stay at their term-time accommodation

The census also counts visitors to establishments but asks no questions about them.

What is a visitor?

A visitor is a person staying overnight on Sunday 21 March 2021 at an address where they do not usually live.

Count a person as a visitor if:

  • they're from outside the UK and have stayed, or intend to stay, in the UK for less than three months, or
  • they were staying overnight on 21 March 2021 at a communal establishment, but they live elsewhere in the UK

You don't need to give them a resident pack, but you need to count them on the manager's form.

Important information:

The online census has now closed. If residents have an access code, they can no longer use it to access their census.

They can still fill in their census on paper.

What you need to do

If you can contact students who are not at their term-time address, please remind them that the online census has now closed. If they have a paper form, they should complete it for their term-time address and return it to FREEPOST, Census 2021. This includes UK and international students.

If any students find it difficult to fill in a questionnaire independently, try to get someone they trust to help, like a family member or friend.

Supporting your students

All usual residents should complete the Individual questions. Some may find it difficult to fill in a form without help. If so, try to get a family member or friend to help.

What is term time?

Term time is the part of the year when classes, lectures or exams are held in places of education, such as schools, colleges and universities. These could be in person or online.