Hotel, guest house, bed and breakfast (B&B) or hostel managers

This is advice for those managing a hotel, guest house, bed and breakfast (B&B) or hostel with seven bed spaces or more.

Hotels, guest houses, hostels and B&Bs with bed spaces for six guests or fewer are considered to be households.

Who to count as residents

Important information:

This guidance also applies to those whose circumstances have been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

All these are counted as residents and need to complete the Individual questions:

  • UK residents who live or plan to live at your establishment for six months or more
  • someone from the UK who was at your establishment on Census Day but has no usual residence elsewhere
  • non-UK residents who live or plan to stay in the UK for three months or more and have no other permanent UK address
  • caretaking, maintenance or other staff and their families who live in this accommodation and have no other permanent UK address

The census also counts visitors to establishments but asks no questions about them.

What is a visitor?

A visitor is a person staying overnight on Sunday 21 March 2021 at an address where they do not usually live.

Count a person as a visitor if:

  • they're from outside the UK and have stayed, or intend to stay, in the UK for less than three months, or
  • they were staying overnight on 21 March 2021 at a communal establishment, but they live elsewhere in the UK

You don't need to give them a resident pack, but you need to count them on the manager's form.

Important information:

What you need to do

You should have received a resident pack that contains:

  • individual paper forms for each resident
  • a pre-paid envelope to return the form
  • information about privacy

Please distribute a resident pack to each resident. Try to make sure individual forms are completed on behalf of any resident who can’t do it for themselves. You can download a listing form to help you track the distribution of resident packs.

Supporting your residents

All usual residents should complete the Individual questions. Some may find it difficult to fill in a form independently. If so, try to get a family member or friend to help.