Care home, hospital or hospice managers
Who to count as residents
All these are counted as residents and need to complete an individual questionnaire:
- UK residents who live or plan to live at your establishment for six months or more
- UK residents who were staying at your establishment on Census Day but who have no usual residence elsewhere
- non-UK residents who live or plan to stay in the UK for three months or more and have no other permanent UK address
- caretaking, maintenance or other staff and their families who live in this accommodation and have no other permanent UK address
The census also counts visitors to establishments but asks no questions about them.
A visitor is a person staying overnight on Sunday 21 March 2021 at an address where they do not usually live.
Count a person as a visitor if:
- they're from outside the UK and have stayed, or intend to stay, in the UK for less than three months, or
- they were staying overnight on 21 March 2021 at a communal establishment, but they live elsewhere in the UK
You don't need to give them a resident pack, but you need to count them on the manager's form.
Do not count accommodation solely for nurses
We count nurses’ accommodation as households. If you manage nurses' accommodation, your residents should receive household forms. Anyone who hasn't received a form should order one. The manager of this accommodation does not need to complete a communal establishment manager's form.
What you will receive
A census officer will arrange to deliver packs to the manager of the accommodation. As the manager, you will receive two types of census packs.
The manager pack contains a letter with an access code. This gives you access to an online form, which asks questions about the establishment you manage. It also asks for a count of usual residents and of visitors who were staying overnight on Sunday 21 March 2021.
The resident pack contains:
- individual paper forms for each resident
- a pre-paid envelope to return the form
- information about privacy
What you need to do
- Complete the communal establishment manager's form.
- Distribute a resident pack to each resident.
- Try to make sure individual forms are completed on behalf of any resident who can’t do it for themselves.
See more help with the questions on the communal establishment manager's form. Your census officer will also be available for support and guidance.
You can download a listing form to help you track the distribution of resident packs.
Supporting your residents
All usual residents should complete an individual form. Some may find it difficult to complete a form independently. If so, a member of staff, a family member or friend can help.
If you decide to collect and post residents' questionnaires on their behalf, you're responsible for the safe and secure storage of the completed questionnaires, in line with GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, until they're posted back. You must post them back as soon as possible, although some individuals may choose to post back their own.
The General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018 are the laws that control how organisations in the UK collect and process personal information.