Boarding school or children's home managers
Who to count as residents
All these are counted as residents and should complete the Individual questions:
- students and children who board here for four nights a week or more during term time
- UK residents who were at your establishment on Census Day and who have no usual residence elsewhere
- non-UK residents who live or plan to stay in the UK for three months or more and who have no other permanent UK address
- caretaking, maintenance or other staff and their families who live in this accommodation and have no other permanent UK address
The census also counts visitors to establishments but asks no questions about them.
A visitor is a person staying overnight on Sunday 21 March 2021 at an address where they do not usually live.
Count a person as a visitor if:
- they're from outside the UK and have stayed, or intend to stay, in the UK for less than three months, or
- they were staying overnight on 21 March 2021 at a communal establishment, but they live elsewhere in the UK
You don't need to give them a resident pack, but you should count them on the manager's form.
Include students from outside the UK who are:
- staying here now and have stayed, or intend to stay, in the UK for at least three months
- not currently in the UK but attended in person during the Autumn 2020 term, and/or Winter 2021 term, and still have a formal agreement to be able to stay at their term-time accommodation
The online census has now closed. If residents have an access code, they can no longer use it to access their census.
They can still fill in their census on paper.
What you need to do
If you can contact students who are not at their term-time address, please remind them that the online census has now closed. If they have a paper form, they should complete it for their term-time address and return it to FREEPOST, Census 2021. This includes UK and international students.
Supporting your residents
All usual residents should complete the Individual questions. Some may find it difficult to fill in a form independently. If so, a member of staff or family member can help.
Do not count students staying for three nights or less during term time as usual residents. They should be included as residents on the form at their home address.
If they were staying at this establishment overnight on Sunday 21 March 2021, include them in the visitor count on the communal establishment manager's form.