I live or stay in a care home, hospital or hospice
This is advice for residents in a care home, hospital or hospice. All residents need to complete the Individual Questionnaire.
Do I have to fill in a census form here?
You should fill in a form here if you're a:
- UK resident who lives or plans to stay in the establishment for six months or more
- UK resident with no usual home elsewhere
- non-UK resident who lives or plans to stay in the UK for three months or more and you have no permanent UK address
- caretaker, maintenance worker or other staff, or a member of their family, who usually lives here and you have no other address
If none of these apply, you should be included on the form at your home address if you have one.
Note that this advice is not intended for people living in nurses' accommodation. See separate advice for nurses.
What will I receive?
The manager or a member of staff at the establishment will give you a pack containing:
- an individual paper form
- a prepaid envelope for you to return the form
- information about privacy
In Wales, you will have the option to complete the census in either English or Welsh. Please only fill in one form.
What do I have to do?
- Fill in the paper form or use the access code to fill in an online form.
- Don't worry if you can't remember all the details about yourself - just do the best you can.
- Put the completed paper form in the envelope and seal it.
- Put it in the post, or you can give it to the manager or a trusted friend to post for you.
I need help to fill in the form
If you have difficulty filling in the form, try to get a family member or friend to help you. Staff at your establishment may also be able to help you.
If there's no one to help, please contact us. We may be able to make an appointment to take your census details over the phone.
You or the manager can:
- order a paper form or access code if you haven't received one by Sunday 21 March 2021
- order a replacement paper form or access code if you've lost yours
- order a replacement paper form if you've made too many mistakes on your original one
- order a large-print version of the paper form if you need one
- download or order information in accessible formats, such as Braille, British Sign Language (BSL) and easy read