I live or stay in a care home, hospital or hospice

This is advice for residents in a care home, hospital or hospice. All residents need to complete the Individual questions.

Do I have to fill in a census form here?

You should fill in a form here if you're a:

  • UK resident who lives or plans to stay in the establishment for six months or more
  • UK resident with no usual home elsewhere
  • non-UK resident who lives or plans to stay in the UK for three months or more and you have no permanent UK address
  • caretaker, maintenance worker or other staff, or a member of their family, who usually lives here and you have no other address

If none of these apply, you should be included on the form at your home address if you have one.

Note that this advice is not intended for people living in nurses' accommodation. See separate advice for nurses.

What will I receive?

The manager or a member of staff at the establishment will give you a pack containing:

  • an individual paper form
  • a prepaid envelope for you to return the form
  • information about privacy

In Wales, you will have the option to complete the census in either English or Welsh. Please only fill in one form.

Important information:

What do I have to do?

  1. Fill in the paper form.
  2. Don't worry if you can't remember all the details about yourself - just do the best you can.
  3. Put the completed paper form in the envelope and seal it.
  4. Put it in the post, or you can give it to the manager or a trusted friend to post for you.

I need help to fill in the form

If you have difficulty filling in the form, try to get a family member or friend to help you. Staff at your establishment may also be able to help you.