26. Which of the following best describes your sexual orientation?
Your answer helps your local community by allowing charities, public bodies, and local and central government to understand what services people might need.
This information helps monitor equality between groups of people of different sexual orientation. Your answer will help public bodies to identify discrimination or social exclusion based on sexual orientation and work to stop it from happening.
This is the first time that the census in England and Wales has asked this question.
This question is voluntary, so you can leave it blank if you prefer. We ask this question of people who are aged 16 years and over.
It's up to you how you answer this question. Select only one option from the following:
- "Straight/Heterosexual" means that you're only attracted to people of the opposite sex
- "Gay or Lesbian" means that you're attracted to people of the same sex
- "Bisexual" means that you're attracted to more than one sex
- "Other sexual orientation" lets you give your own answer, for example, pansexual or asexual. This is also voluntary, so you can leave it blank if you prefer.
Do not record your gender identity or relationship status here
The next question is about the gender you identify with.
Answering for someone else
If you're answering on behalf of someone else, where possible you should ask them how they want to answer. If they’re away, select the answer you think they would choose. This question is voluntary, so it can be left blank if they would prefer.
Not enough space
If you run out of space, enter as much as you can. Only enter one character per box.