H9. How many bedrooms are available for use only by this household?
Your answer helps your community by allowing your local authority to understand and address housing shortages or overcrowded accommodation in your area.
The census first asked this question in 2011.
Include any rooms:
- that have been built as a bedroom
- that have been converted for use as a bedroom, or
- where the use has permanently changed to that of a bedroom
Bedsits and studio flats
Count these as having one bedroom.
Help with which rooms to include
- it was a bedroom to start with and is still used as one
- it was a bedroom to start with, but is now used for something else like an office or den
- it was a room with plumbing at the start, for example, a bathroom or kitchen, before it was changed to a bedroom
- it was not a room at all at the start, but is now used as a bedroom, for example, a loft or garage conversion
Do not include if:
- it's now a bathroom, wet room or kitchen, but was a bedroom to start with
- it's a dining room, conservatory or living room that's also currently used for sleeping
Not sure how to answer
If you’re not sure how to answer, imagine you’re selling the house: how many bedrooms would you advertise?