6. Do you stay at another address for more than 30 days a year?

Why we ask this question

Your answer helps us make sure that we count every property where people live. It will also help us understand changes to the number of people living in your area.

Local authorities use this information to plan services and make policy. For example, where you stay during the working week may affect commuting patterns.

It also helps to explain any differences between the number of households counted in the census and other sources, such as the electoral roll.

The census first asked this question in 2011.

How to work out if it is more than 30 days in a year

For this question, a year is any period of 12 months that includes Sunday 21 March 2021. You don't need to be staying at the property on 21 March.

The days you stay at the address don’t have to be all in a row. They can be at any time during the 12 months. But it must still be possible to stay at the address on or after Sunday 21 March 2021.

Example of days spread throughout the year

If you stayed at the other address for one day in September 2020, 10 days in November and plan to stay 20 days in August 2021, you should answer "Yes" because the total time spent at the other address is 31 days (more than 30 days).

Important information:

How to answer if the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has affected you

If you usually stay at another address for more than 30 days a year, such as a holiday home or term-time address, but have not yet been able to this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, select "Yes".

If you stayed at another address for more than 30 days in the last year because of the coronavirus pandemic, but do not intend to do so in the future, select "No".

What we mean by another address

Another address is an address where you stay overnight, and is different to the one at the start of this census form. It might be the address of another parent, guardian or a partner. Or it might be a work address, an armed forces base, a holiday home or a term-time address.

In order to select "Yes", it must be possible to stay at the address on or after Sunday 21 March 2021 if you choose to. For example, if you've recently sold your holiday home, you would select "No".

Staying in a hotel or B&B

Only include a hotel or bed and breakfast if you stay at this one place for more than 30 days a year. You don't have to stay in the same room each time you stay.

Staying at two or more other addresses

If you live at two or more other addresses, not including your home address, for more than 30 days each in a year, enter the other address where you spend the most time.

If you spend the same amount of time at two or more other addresses, enter the one where you last stayed.

Children and students staying away in term time

If you're answering at the family home for students and children staying away in term time, select "Yes" and enter their term-time address.

If you're a student away from home and answering for yourself, make sure you select "Yes" and then enter your home address.

Members of the household who are working away from home

Include the address of a member of the household if they're working away for more than 30 days over the year.

For armed forces personnel, if you answer "Yes", only give the full postcode, don't give the whole address.

You don't need to include overseas postings. If they're serving at sea, or you don't know if they've been deployed overseas, put the postcode of their home port or military base in the UK.

Entering an address

If there's not enough space to include the full address, enter as much as the space allows.

Write within the boxes and only write one character in each box.

If you can't remember the full UK address

If you can't remember the UK address, please enter as much as you can remember, for example the street name, town, or postcode.

What is the United Kingdom (UK)?

The full title of this country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The UK is made up of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not part of the UK.