Paper questions help
If you are completing the census online please use the online census guidance.
Household questions H1 - H14
- H1. Who usually lives here?
- H2. Counting everyone you included in question H1, how many people usually live here?
- H3. Starting with yourself, list the names of all the people counted in question H2 including children, babies and lodgers.
- H4. Apart from everyone counted in question H2, who else is staying overnight here on 13 October 2019?
- H5. Counting only the people included in question H4, how many visitors are staying overnight here on 13 October 2019?
- H6. How are members of this household related to each other?
- H7. What type of accommodation is this?
- H8. Are all the rooms in this accommodation, including the kitchen, bathroom and toilet, behind a door that only this household can use?
- H9. How many bedrooms are available for use only by this household?
- H10. What type of central heating does this accommodation have?
- H12. Does your household own or rent this accommodation?
- H13. Who is your landlord?
- H14. In total, how many cars or vans are owned, or available for use, by members of this household?
Individual questions 1 - 10
- 1. What is your name?
- 2. What is your date of birth?
- 3. What is your sex?
- 4. On 13 October 2019, what is your legal marital or registered civil partnership status?
- 6. Do you stay at another address for more than 30 days a year?
- 8. Are you a schoolchild or student in full-time education?
- 9. During term time, where do you usually live?
- 10. What is your country of birth?
Individual questions 11 - 20
- 11. If you were not born in the United Kingdom, when did you most recently arrive to live here?
- 12. Including the time you have already spent here, how long do you intend to stay in the United Kingdom?
- 13. Can you understand, speak, read or write Welsh?
- 14. What is your main language? (If you live in England)
- 14. What is your main language? (If you live in Wales)
- 15. How well can you speak English?
- 16. How would you describe your national identity?
- 17. What is your ethnic group?
- 18. What is your religion?
- 19. One year ago, what was your usual address?
- 20. What passports do you hold?
Individual questions 21 - 30
- 21. How is your health in general?
- 22. Do you have any physical or mental health conditions or illnesses lasting or expected to last 12 months or more?
- 23. Do any of your conditions or illnesses reduce your ability to carry out day-to-day activities?
- 24. Do you look after, or give any help or support to, anyone because they have long-term physical or mental health conditions or illnesses, or problems related to old age?
- 26. Which of the following best describes your sexual orientation?
- 27. Is your gender the same as the sex you were registered at birth?
- 29. Have you completed an apprenticeship?
- 30. Have you achieved a qualification at degree level or above?
Individual questions 31 - 40
- 31. Have you achieved any other qualifications?
- 32. Have you previously served in the UK Armed Forces?
- 33. In the last seven days, were you doing any of the following?
- 34. Which of the following describes what you were doing in the last seven days?
- 35. In the last four weeks, were you actively looking for any kind of paid work?
- 36. If a job became available now, could you start it within two weeks?
- 37. In the last seven days, were you waiting to start a job already accepted?
- 38. Have you ever done any paid work?
- 40. In your main job, what is (was) your employment status?
Individual questions 41 - 50
- 41. What is (was) the name of the organisation or business you work (worked) for?
- 42. What is (was) your full job title?
- 43. Briefly describe what you do (did) in your main job.
- 44. What is (was) the main activity of your organisation, business or freelance work?
- 45. Do (did) you supervise or oversee the work of other employees on a day-to-day basis?
- 47. In your main job, how many hours a week do you usually work?
- 48. How do you usually travel to work?
- 49. Where do you mainly work?
- 50. What is the address of your workplace or depot?