Online questions help
If you are completing the paper census questionnaire please use the paper census guidance.
Your address and people who live here
- Who lives here?
- Are there any visitors staying overnight on 13 October 2019 at this address?
- Household relationships
- Do you stay at another address for more than 30 days a year?
- One year ago, what was your usual address?
Household and accommodation
- What type of accommodation is your address?
- Are all the rooms in this accommodation, including the kitchen, bathroom and toilet, behind a door that only this household can use?
- How many bedrooms are available for use only by this household?
- What type of central heating does this accommodation have?
- Does your household own or rent this address?
- Who is your landlord?
- In total, how many cars or vans are owned, or available for use, by members of this household?
Name, sex, date of birth and marital status
- What is your name?
- What is your date of birth?
- What is your sex?
- On 13 October 2019, what is your legal marital or registered civil partnership status?
Sexual orientation and gender
- Which of the following best describes your sexual orientation?
- Is your gender the same as the sex you were registered at birth?
Country of birth, passports, and not born in the UK
- What is your country of birth?
- What passports do you hold?
- When did you most recently arrive to live in the United Kingdom?
- Including the time already spent here, how long do you intend to stay in the United Kingdom?
National identity and ethnic group
Language and religion
- What is your main language? (If you live in England)
- What is your main language? (If you live in Wales)
- How well can you speak English?
- Can you understand, speak, read or write Welsh?
- What is your religion?
Health and care
- How is your health in general?
- Do you have any physical or mental health conditions or illnesses lasting or expected to last 12 months or more?
- Do any of your conditions or illnesses reduce your ability to carry out day-to-day activities?
- Do you look after, or give any help or support to, anyone because they have long-term physical or mental health conditions or illnesses, or problems related to old age?
Qualifications and full-time education
- Are you a student in full-time education?
- During term time, where do you usually live?
- Have you completed an apprenticeship?
- Have you achieved a qualification at degree level or above?
- Have you achieved any other qualifications?
Main job and Armed Forces
- In the last seven days, were you doing any of the following?
- Which of the following describes what you were doing in the last seven days?
- In the last four weeks, were you actively looking for any kind of paid work?
- In the last seven days, were you waiting to start a job already accepted?
- Are you available to start work in the next two weeks?
- Have you ever done any paid work?
- In your main job, what is (was) your employment status?
- What is (was) the name of the organisation or business you work (worked) for?
- What is (was) your full job title?
- Briefly describe what you do (did) in your main job.
- What is (was) the main activity of your organisation, business or freelance work?
- Do (did) you supervise or oversee the work of other employees on a day-to-day basis?
- In your main job, how many hours a week do you usually work?
- How do you usually travel to work?
- Where do you mainly work?
- What is the address of your workplace or depot?
- Have you previously served in the UK Armed Forces?