In hospital, a care home or similar place

If you know a household member will be in hospital, a care home or a similar place for less than six months, include them on your household form.

If you think it might be longer, don’t include them.

Similar places can include:

  • nursing homes
  • residential homes for the elderly
  • mental health units
  • maternity units
  • rehabilitation centres

To find out how we count people in places like this, see advice for people living or staying in communal establishments.