Communal Establishments : Overview

This advice is for managers and supervisors of accommodation where residents live or stay. We call these communal establishments.

Types of communal establishments include:

  • hospitals, hospices, maternity units and care homes
  • religious establishments
  • hotels, guest houses and B&Bs with residential accommodation for seven or more guests
  • boarding schools and university halls of residence
  • prisons and other secure facilities
  • staff accommodation

If this accommodation doesn’t fit these criteria, please request a household form.

Who to include as a resident in a communal establishment

If a person has already spent or expects to spend six months or more in a communal establishment, for example, a care home, hospital or hostel, then their usual residence is that communal establishment. Otherwise usual residence would be at the UK home address and the person should be classified as a visitor at the communal establishment.

Any UK resident who is staying in a communal establishment on 13 October 2019 and has no usual address in the UK should be counted as usually resident at the communal establishment (regardless of how long they have stayed or intend to stay there).

People from outside the UK who intend to stay in the UK for three months or more in total, and who do not have another address at which they usually live in the UK, should be included as a usual resident at that communal establishment. If they intend to stay in the UK for less than three months in total they should be counted as a visitor in the communal establishment.