I'm in prison, a secure unit or a young offender institution

This is advice for people staying in a prison, probation unit, secure unit, immigration centre or young offender institution.

Do I have to fill in a census form here?

You should fill in a form here if you're:

  • staying here and you've been sentenced to 12 months or more
  • someone who's been convicted and is awaiting sentencing
  • a UK resident who has no usual residence elsewhere
  • a UK resident who is staying here and there's no one who can fill in your census form at your home address
  • a non-UK resident who lives or plans to stay in the UK for over three months and you have no permanent UK address

If none of these apply, you should be included on the form at your home address if you have one.

What will I receive?

A member of staff will give you a pack containing:

  • an individual paper form
  • a prepaid envelope for you to return the form
  • information about privacy

In Wales, you will have the option to complete the census in either English or Welsh. Please only fill in one form.

Important information:

What do I have to do?

  1. Fill in the paper form.
  2. Don't worry if you can't remember all the details about yourself - just do the best you can.
  3. Put the completed paper form in the envelope and seal it.
  4. Post it or give it to a member of staff to post for you.

I need help to fill in the form

If you have difficulty filling in the form, try to get a family member or friend to help you. Staff at your establishment may also be able to help you.

You or a member of staff can also download or order information in accessible formats, such as Braille, British Sign Language (BSL) and easy read.